At Key Stage 3 the academy focuses on the inspiration agenda seeking to connect our learners to the world of work and raise aspirations. Developing enterprise skills we work with partners to create these positive interactions, such as Barclays Life Skills programme which is run with pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9. Through assemblies and class activities and online careers programmes, pupils get to investigate occupations and develop self-awareness which will shape their future job preferences. In addition Year 9 pupils will go through a programme of assemblies, information sessions and individual guidance interviews which will help them make sound subject choices for Key Stage 4.
Pupils are introduced to Careers and Enterprise in Year 7.
What is Enterprise?
Enterprise education provides pupils with the unique opportunity to develop valuable skills in the business world. Whether pupils plan for a career in medicine or web design, these foundation skills are crucial in becoming, not only a successful young entrepreneur, but also a creative and innovative individual, developing critical thinking skills.
Throughout the school year, there will be many exciting events and opportunities for students at MCMA to engage with inspirational business people and learn first-hand through running their very own business.
The Gateways Programme
The University of Manchester Gateways Programme allows learners in Years 7 to 11 to participate in a series of academic enrichment and higher education (HE) awareness activities.
Manchester Gateways enables students to:
• Find out more about University life
• Explore our range of degree courses
• Develop a range of skills that will aid success at GCSE and beyond
• Manchester Gateways aims
• Raise awareness of HE teaching, studying and living environments
• Broaden learners' horizons with regards to HE and the range of HE institutions
• Raise awareness of the variety of subject disciplines available in HE
• Introduce learners to real students to build up a true vision of what student life is like
• Develop students’ skills in team-working, independent enquiry, self- management, reflective learning, effective participation and creative thinking
• Provide information and advice to enable informed decision-making about GCSE and post-16 choices
• Provide up-to-date careers information and show the value attached to degrees by employers
Year 8 & 9 Options
Parents and pupils will be invited to attend the Year 8 & 9 Options Evening where they can find out more about what options MCMA has to offer at Key Stage 4. Subjects chosen to study for GCSE can influence and shape the career path of the future. If pupils already have a strong direction of which careers path to take, then they will need to consider which subjects will help them to get there.
“Young Entrepreneur of the Year” Award
We were absolutely delighted in the summer of 2017 when our Year 9 students, Chuka, Masroor, Rameesha, Tipsuda and Timmy won the first ever “Young Entrepreneur of the Year” Award winning the academy a cheque for £500 to invest in enterprise activities! The students also won a day of go karting!
The competition was organised by Ranstad Education and all the money raised (£121.50) was donated to “Cash for Kids.” The students ran a number of enterprise activities in school as well as presenting a pitch to a panel of judges.
We are very proud of the students and we look forward to developing our enterprise activities within the academy further.